THORN IN A FLESH - Daring The Devil!



Missed the previous stories? Click Here!

…Within a blink of an eye, the mobile police officers had turned the spot where Egbon Kunle was into a shooting range. Yeh!!! That was the only word coming out from my mouth for more than two miniutes with my eyes shaking. After three (3) minutes, it was all quiet just like a cemetery. Let me guess, you are wondering what happened to Egbon Kunle. Well, he was still standing amidst smoke from the guns, feeling like the god of thunder.


Aftermath of the shooting, the five (5) mobile officers were on the ground in their own blood giving their testimonies on the feeling of the returned bullets; none of the bullets touched Egbon Kunle. Na juju ooooo. A Yoruba adage says “Òkò tabá so mope, ni Òpe nso móni (the palm tree throws back the stone that is thrown at it).


My life was saved for that day with another experience added. I took to my heels immediately with other onlookers and everybody at the shrine. We were very sure something will go down on their (Mobile police) return.

Information travels faster than anything. Mr. and Mrs. Seidu had already gotten the information of the full acton that went down at the shrine. I was given a warm welcome on getting home. Don’t be deceived, my temperature increased after a warm slap from my dad as I opened the door to go in. The true meaning of confusion came as an inspiration to me. Confusion is when you steal meat from your mummy’s pot and you forgot where the spoon was; inside the soup or on top of the pot. To me, confusion is when you receive a slap and you just start wondering if it’s a slap or you were hit with a sledge hammer. It was a great day and my face was squeezed just like a kampala made in Abeokuta the next morning.


As I was about sneaking out of the house that morning, I remembered I had to pay some bills. So, I went to my mom’s box in order to get some cheddas. It happened like a movie replay or slow motion like Nigerians will call it. My mom entered just in time and met Five Hundred naira (N500) note in my hand as I was bringing it out of the purse. Something happened on the spot that changed my life…


**To be continued**

Author: Seidu Kazeem O. 

Links to the stories: Click Here!

Comments