5 Incredible Principles That Will Help You Overcome Self-limitation

Years ago, a friend said this to me, "I don't think I'll exceed secondary school education. My parents are poor and they never sponsored my older siblings past secondary school." Maybe I'll learn a trade after completion of my education.", he added. His words never held any meaning to me until recently when I had a chat with a friend. He made it known to me that he was the first person in his family to hold a university degree. He further said and I quote, "My parents only managed to have a primary school certificate. My elder brother and sister never deemed to proceed after secondary education but I decided to do what has never been achieved in my family."

Now, there is a striking similarity as well as a stark difference between the two individuals quoted above which I am going to point out.

I. They both have a fairly educated family background.
II. They have what seem like an unbreakable family limit.

However, there was a huge gulf between these individuals. While one subjected himself to a life sentence without trial, the other broke free from the family hold-down. The hold-down called 'SELF-LIMITATION'.


The definition of self-limition refers to something, either physical or mental, that you create and that limits you. Self-limitation is an embargo placed on oneself either consciously or unconsciously. It is a self-inhibiting factor that confines one to a perceived spot. Self-limitation could be likened to a personal indictment without any prior judgement of conviction. Self-imposed limitations are shackles that hold us down and prevent us from achieving our potential. When a person sets a limit, he or she puts a limit on what is achievable. That person will never evolve beyond the arbitrary standard set for him or her. People never evolve beyond their self-imposed standards, even if they are fully capable. This wouldn't be so much of an issue if people regularly set their limits high - but most do the opposite and set their sights far too low.

What are the causes of self-limitation? Continue reading: CAUSES OF SELF-LIMITATION


PLEASE DROP YOUR COMMENTS/QUESTIONS IN THE COMMENT BOX BELOW. WE VALUE YOUR OPINION!


Author: LAMBE OLANREWAJU
Column: Midweek Drive
Read Previous Write-Ups by clicking HERE
Follow on twitter @thisseidublog for updates

Comments